Valerie C. HorvathPartner
Attorney Valerie Horvath has had extraordinarily rich and diverse experiences in the 20 years since she graduated from law school.
- As a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney with the Marion County (Indiana) Prosecutor’s Office, she handled domestic violence cases from beginning to end and delivered public presentations and police training on domestic violence.
- For approximately seven years, Ms. Horvath was a Master Commissioner in Marion Superior Court presiding over both bench trials and jury trials in civil environmental court, ordinance violation, criminal domestic violence and misdemeanor courts.
- For two years, she was Deputy General Counsel to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles where she served as the legal department liaison for Human Resources, Civil Rights, and Branch Operations. Valerie also handled attorney onboarding, creating the Bureau’s first orientation program for new attorneys, and worked with the Office of the Attorney General on litigation involving the Bureau. She planned, designed, and delivered training for clerks in all 92 Indiana counties. She also had management responsibilities, reviewing the performance of three other attorneys. She was recognized for her service as the recipient of the Commissioner’s Excellence Award. While she was at the BMV, she earned Lean Six Sigma white, yellow, and green belt certifications.
- Ms. Horvath also served as Chief of Staff for the Indiana Department of Revenue where she was responsible or strategic initiatives designed to multiply productivity of the senior leadership team.
- In 2017, she opened her own law practice, the Horvath Law Office, providing representation to clients in criminal, traffic, immigration, and family law matters.
At Hand Ponist, Valerie practices in criminal defense, family law, civil litigation, estate planning, and administrative law. She also serves as satellite attorney for the Protective Order Project of the Indiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence.
J.D., Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law, 1998
B.A., Indiana University, 1991
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana
U.S. Immigration Court
Indianapolis Bar Association
Government Practices Board; Scholarship Committee Chair
- St. Thomas Moore Association, member and director
- Indianapolis Bar Association Free Will Clinic
- Indianapolis Bar Association Expungement Clinic